Tuesday, February 28, 2017

The Meeting

What exactly is "a meeting"? A number of synonyms come to mind: an encounter, a confrontation, rendezvous, engagement, assembly, a conference, convention, rally, get-together, forum, or even just a session. I have been pondering this word after reading from the book of Exodus, the 25th chapter. In this chapter God is giving instructions to Moses on those items to be included in the Sanctuary Moses is in the process of building for God. God descibes the construction of the Ark of the Covenant and on its top would be the mercy seat where God says to Moses: "There I will meet with you...I will speak with you" (vs. 22) The question I wrote in the side column of my Bible was "Where do I meet with God, the God of the Universe?" That is relatively easy for me to answer as I turn my head and view my multi-colored recliner in the corner of my bedroom adjacent to southern facing windows allowing me a front row seat to morning sunrises. Does He, God Almighty, speak to me? Maybe not in an audible voice as He did with Moses but in soft whispers of the heart as I pray and read HIs Word. Is our daily "meeting" productive? That is a more difficult question. I would like to say yes but I have to be honest and pose the questions to myself-Am I always alert to His voice? Do I allow my mind to wander into the coming day's agenda? Do outside noises distract? I am certain on a number of occasions I have to say yes to any one of these questions. Yet I am so thankful my "meeting" is with a merciful Father who created me and knows my flaws. He justs wants to be near me and recognize His presence. Sometimes  it is difficult to "wrap my brain" around the fact that the God of the universe, the one who formed the earth, warming it with the sun and gently sustaining it in motion, wants to take time with me! Awesome! These meetings I have with God should be the pinnacle of each day! We all have free access to the God of the universe. No appointments necessary. Where and when do you meet with God? Do you have productive meetings that result in spiritual fruit in your life and the lives of others? Questions to challenge the soul!

Psalms 5:3
"In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly."

No comments: