Tuesday, June 2, 2026

Struggling-Devoping Strength through Weakness?


We all have struggles in various seasons of life; some physical, some financial, some relational, even spiritual. It’s a human condition all of us face but I must admit I think PwP face more than their share! 


One of the most difficult struggles for a PwP (person with Parkinson Disease) is with medication, especially in the later stages of the disease.

There are a plethora of different meds “out there”, as varied as the human fingerprint. The gold standard is Sinemet and daily I thank the individual or company who discovered that “miracle” for Parkinson Disease. But it’s not necessarily always the answer; too much and you develop dyskinesia, which results in violent, wild movements, as well as possible hallucinations.(Never forget the night I kept company with a lion!)Too little and the tremors ramp up and become very debilitating. There are many other side effects but I’m most familiar with these because of my own experiences.


 In some ways it parallels the bodies need for sugar, which is the diabetic struggle, except in Parkinson there is no way to determine that you are half full or approaching empty of your necessary level ,of dopamine, (Dopamine is often called the "feel-good" chemical-a crucial neurotransmitter, a hormone in the body. It acts as a messenger between neurons. primarily driving the brain's reward system, motivating you to repeat beneficial or pleasurable behaviors like eating, socializing, and achieving goals) No finger prick or other monitor reading warns you that you are low. When you are actually empty you are SUDDENLY off the cliff and its not a gradual fall. Some people call it their “off” periods but for me I would call it a brief descent into h__ __ __!-my legs give out, my stomach cramps, my mind goes into a drunkin state with confusion and slurred speech and I pray for respite. It lasts approximately 20-30 minutes but can go on for an hour or longer, Please understand I share simply for your knowledge not for sympathy. We PwP patients do what we can to extend our“on” periods when we actually match the dopamine levels with what is needed in the body. Oh how lovely to feel good, to sleep longer than a 90 minute period, to read a novel with steady hands and walk without a cane, to laugh at a joke, participate in a meaningful conversation-in other words be a real human!


Recently I learned that most Parkinson Patients are also HSP. . What is that label? Highly Sensitive Person. Yes ,it really is a “condition”! For more detailed information check out the book: The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N. Aron “How to thrive when the world overwhelms you”

It is a common trait for Parkinson Patients, something else to “struggle with”. Yet just knowing this classification existed was empowering. I felt validated when I turned up the thermostat every 5 minutes or refused to wear an item of clothing in the closet because it recently felt tight; why going into a crowded church or Costco made me break out in a sweat; feeling more and more shy with groups I used to lead; why sirens give me chills and coarse fabric causes me to throw the item across the room; why being hungry causes an extreme reaction in me-:

I’m a HSP and proud of it!! My caregiver, my hubby, has learned to carry an extra sweater as well as a small fan!. 


So where am I going with this state of affairs? I’m going to Paul and verse 10 of chapter 12 of 2 Corinthians..God’s power is really made perfect through our weaknesses.( And boy do we have them). We can’t do it on our own. We need the power of the Holy Spirit! Truly when we are weak we really are strong! 


2 Corinthians 12:7-10 


“…a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this , that it would leave me. (But Jesus says,) “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”

For the sake of Christ, then I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”


No comments: