“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.Then you will call to me and come and pray to me and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. “
Jeremiah 29: 11-13
Have you ever felt you have little or no purpose except medicine bottles, walkers, and sleepless nights? Even though we are “taught” that we (husband and wife) battle this Parkinson dragon together. It can be a lonely road, for the caregiver and the patient, especially if the caregiver had some bucket list items that were never “checked off” and the partner is not able to share in those retirement experiences. I’ve often heard it said “This is NOT how I pictured our retirement!” Wait a minute! This is not what I envisioned as the last big roundup either! Sound familiar? ? Where are the bucking broncos, the plane rides to distant countries, the color, the fun and mystery of new and different? What purpose is there in mucking the identical stalls day after boring day, riding the same flat range, losing all hope of independent fun?? The kids are grown with families of their own-now it’s our time-right?
Then in strolls PD and everything changes! The dresser, where once pamphlets of world wonderful sites awaited nightly reading now is littered with doctor’s medication scripts and vials of various colored pills. Instead of an open suitcase being piled with folded shirts there rests a walker and a commode for night time trips. Visas hold expired dates and calendars are covered with giant red exes! The final straw is sitting beside your best friends and watching their home movies of Egypt, their recent get away! Oh, it may not be travel that was your dream-volunteer work with needy kids or weekly bridge with the neighbors, shopping sprees with your best friends, or golf every day.
God has plans. They may be crafted different than we imagined but God is always good, as are His plans for you. In Jeremiah we are told God knows the plans He has for us and if we seek Him with our whole heart we will find Him and then we will know and understand those perfect plans. Our life does have purpose, no matter the condition of it, as He so beautifully showed me a few days ago.
Allow me a few moments to share.
It was one of those tougher than usual mornings where emotions ran wild and erratic as the tremors took over the fingers and pain radiated down my scoliosis back. Why, Lord, am I here. What good is this ???Upon returning from a brief walk I pulled out my Bible and read the Daily Bread devotional, which in essence challenged me to praise God for His gift of music. As I began to seek Him with my whole heart He reminded me that one of our grandchildren is gifted in playing the violin so I texted him with the devotional and His reply revealed my purpose: “Thanks Nani. I love playing for God, myself and you.” Hey all you grandparents out there. Your purpose above all others is to reflect Jesus to your grandchildren. Could there be any task more noble, more fulfilling, more satisfying?
I have a couple examples given to me through a friend via the Holy Spirit, ideas some of you might latch onto and run with, as I have done.
- We want our children to read and know God’s Word but sometimes it is difficult for them to understand so why doesn’t grandma Bible journal? That translates into a year drawing little cartoons or translating a special Bible verse in the side margin, complete with bright colors. Pray each day as you read the scripture and draw/write in their individual Bible. Be sure you let them know you prayed for them each day you opened their Bible. Give them this Bible when they turn 16. (One of my grandsons told me that he won’t take the Bible out of his room for fear of damaging it or losing it so it resides on a special shelf when he isn’t reading it.)
- Write a letter to each grandchildren when they graduate high school congratulating them, adding a little $ and explaining the importance of not being “unequally yoked” Give them the book, “Boy meets Girl”’ a book to encourage a godly romantic relationship., or something comparable. (They may not listen to mom and dad in this area but they will often listen to grandparents.)
I pray these suggestions will start your creative juices flowing and your eyes will be opened to your purpose: speaking to the next generation.
“A grandmother may not always fix everything, but she can place her family in God’s loving hands.”
No comments:
Post a Comment