Thursday, June 25, 2026

Dystonia-Dys what?


After a great deal of reading I believe, although not discussed with my neurologist as of yet, that I have dystonia of the stomach, referred to as "abdominal wall dystonia" or "truncal dystonia".


Dystonia is a neurological movement disorder that causes involuntary muscle contractions, resulting in twisting, repetitive movements. It can affect one specific muscle, a group of muscles, or the entire body, and the involuntary spasms are often painful.

It feels like it is coming from "inside" the stomach or GI tract, but it is actually a neurological issue causing involuntary, sustained contractions and cramping of the outer skeletal muscles of your torso. 


The Lord seems to think I am “special" and can  juggle a NUMBER of medical issues at the same time: Parkinson Disease, dystonia, urinary incontinence, micrographia, arthritic knees, hallux rigid (removal of knuckle of big toe resulting in, for me, three surgeries and a MRSA infection), and scoliosis. 

Now this is not a brag list, as though one would brag about having Parkinson Disease, nor a list of accompaniments, but rather a list you might use as a comparison to your “specials” and say,”Thank you Lord! I’m glad I don’t have _____ to deal with daily.” Remember there is always a blessing waiting around the corner no matter what you are wading through! Today my blessing is a new grandson. Thank you, JESUS for Roy Andrew Boughman!


                                                                        Psalm 42:5-6


“Why are you cast down, Oh my soul?

And why are you in turmoil within me?

Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,

my salvation and my God.”


"Hold on to hope. 

It's a good thing,

maybe the best of things."

(from The Shawshank Redemption)








\



No comments: