Monday, August 17, 2026

"Cancel...cancel...cancel

Cancel the upscale restaurant reservation…


Cancel the camping trip…


Cancel the wedding reception reservations …


Cancel playing with two great-grandchildren you haven’t yet met…


Cancel order for an emerald necklace…


Cancel hair cut appoint…


Cancel, cancel, cancel and on it goes.


Disappointment drips from my heart as I once again face dreams shattered, appointments gone, sitting at home nursing a stomach ache, crazy wild tremors, or other such disturbing health issues related to my “dragon friend”-Parkinson’s Disease! 

You want to guess how many times I have anticipated the aroma and taste of a delicious  menu at an upscale restaurant only to try and explain to the head waitress why I have to cancel the day of the event- ? at least 10 times in the last three years! 


Is it the devil laughing as he adds another check mark to his chalkboard of victories over the believer?


Is it a mini-course in God’s school of sanctification-“Growing the Believer 101”?


Or is it simply part of being human-something to accept and move on?


I don’t have the answer, obviously, since I’ve been down this road once or twice.


One thing I do rest on is the knowledge that it is God’s battle and He is fighting for and with me. 


There is a story in the book of 2 Chronicles 20 that is a beautiful example of God fighting battles for “His Own”.


Jehoshaphat was the fourth king of the southern Kingdom of Judah, ruling for 25 years around the 9th century BC. He is remembered as a good and godly king who strengthened his nation and sought God.

At that time in the history of the Jewish people there were a number of nations who were out to fight and destroy Israel, actually no different than today! At this point in their history it was the Moabites and the Ammonites. Immediately when Jehoshaphat learned of this approaching enemy he proclaimed a fast for all the people, then stood up in the assembly to seek the Lord. Jehoshaphat reminded God that Israel had been good to these people in times past “Our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attaching us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you.” (I’ve often cried out with a similar voice: “I don’t know what to do, but my eyes are on you.”)

This is what the Lord said: “Do not be afraid or discouraged. ..For the battle is not yours, but God’s. Take up your positions and stand strong and see the deliverance the Lord will give you. Go out to face them tomorrow and the Lord will be with you.”


I think the ending of this story is simply fantastic! In the early morning the people as a group go out to do battle singing: “Give thanks to the Lord, for his love endures forever..! When they approach the battle field they discover the vast armies are all dead, having  fought against each other!! The men of Israel not only do not have to do battle but discover a huge array of plunder all for them!!!


Our God does for us far more than we could ever ask!! His generosity is beyond our imagination. We just need to open our eyes to recognize it! To truly end this story are verses 29-30. “The fear of God came on all the surrounding kingdoms when they heard how the Lord had fought against the enemies of Israel. And the kingdom of Jehoshaphat was at peace, for his God had given him rest on every side.”  Wow-powerful!! 


When I read my own words here I am awed that God puts up with my complaining, whining, feeling sorry for myself! Even today He is showing me that He cares and is in the process of fighting for me-trying a new Parkinson medication that offers hope for longer rest at night and less distress during the daytime hours. 


Isaiah 43:19

“Do not lose hope in times of trouble, for God is working in the unseen! His hand is steady and His timing is perfect in bringing good out of the difficult.” 


He certainly did that for Jehoshaphat and He will do it for me and for you!



 

No comments: