Tuesday, June 9, 2015

European Bike vacation continues...The Netherlands

Amsterdam

This city name, I know, carries with it a reputation of diry, sex-filled, drug infested streets. Yet after a day of sight-seeing mingling in with over 800,000 people whose average age had to be 25, we felt a pleasant "warmth" towards Amsterdam. We joined a small tour group riding on the 100+ canals and learned much of interest about the city; such as every resident owns an average of 3 bikes, (check out the photo of the biking garage), and it costs over 1/2 a million to own a small flat in the city!
During our canal tour we "cruised" through the infamous "red light" section of the city. I was saddened by the seeming pride the tour operator had in claiming this element of sex trade as an acceptable part of the city and a place he encouraged one to visit. Yet as I thought further on the reality of sin in everybody's life I realized we all have "red light districts" in our lives that we may refuse to clean up and accept by the grace of God and the cleansing power of the blood of Jesus we would be on our way to eternal separation from God. Praise the Lord He has cleaned up my "red light district"!
Cheese wheels, waffle treats, people watching, and biking the streets rounded out our visit to Amsterdam. On the road out of the city tomorrow!





No comments: