Thursday, June 11, 2015

Biking in Europe--The Netherlands-Day 3

Windmills are the iconic symbol of Hollland. We rode through a town which boasts 19 of them: Kinderdijk. Kinderdijk is the name of a town in the province of South-Holland. Two rivers, the ‘Noord’ and the ‘Lek’ come together here. Nowhere in the world can you find so many windmills together. The mills used to pump the overflow of water out of the Alblasserwaard polders (which are below sea level), into the river Lek. River the ‘Lek’ is connected to the North Sea. These windmills were constructed around 1740 and now are on UNESCO's world heritage list.



Besides the windmills sheep are everywhere. Loved observing the many varieties. Little did I realize they were all unique. I was often reminded of Psalm 23.

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside the still waters,
He restores my soul.
He leads in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil,
You are with me.
Your rod and staff will comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil,
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever"



I am happy to be a sheep in the "herd" of Jesus, my shepherd!

No comments: