Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Making of a Tire Cover

My daughter-in-law, Stacia, is taking a sewing class and I love reading her blog about her new hobby documenting what she is creating with the sewing machine. So I thought I would "document" a sewing project Hunter and I recently worked on together.
Since our RV has very large and expensive tires it is to our benefit to protect them from drying out in the hot summer sun, therefore covers are a must. Unfortunately, as many of you have experienced after purchasing retail products, today's quality control departments are asleep! When we bought our RV two years ago we purchased 6 covers and now, as you can see from the photo, they are torn and quite unsightly. The question we asked ourselves is "Could we make ones better?" Why not try.
Using a process Hunter calls reverse engineering we carefully cut apart an old one, measured and determined an approximate yardage, and headed for JoAnn Fabrics. They had exactly the marine vinyl we wanted so we bought enough for one cover-a prototype. Our success has spurred us on to buy more material and complete the remaining five covers. We are not only proud of our accomplishment but had a great time working together. Retirement is fun!









3 comments:

Stacy said...

I love when people "do it themselves"! Great job! I didn't know you had a blog! So do I. I'll keep my eyes open for yours more often. :)

Rebecca said...

Great job mom and dad! Glad you guys can find so much stuff to do together during retirement. And what a great cost saving (and high quality) project too. They look great.

stacia mikele said...

If this was facebook, I would press the like button right now. :)