Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Content with the Rain!

When the word vacation flashes across your mind do you envision sunshine and warm temps? Of course you do and so do I. At least that is what I thought a vacation should equate.How could there be any fun, any joy, any enjoyable outdoor activities in cold rain and gloomy clouds? This week I am discovering the smiles hidden behind the raindrops, the laughter in the cold rain forest, the beauty in the dark clouds, the pleasures only adverse weather can produce. God is also teaching me a valuable lesson called "Contentment". Contentment is defined as happiness with one's situation. If but a few short weeks ago you would have told me there was happiness to be found among rain and 50 degree weather I would have said,"You are crazy!" Just ask my husband if I am not "allergic" to cold. In the summer the air conditioner sits idle while the winter finds my husband in t-shirts and shorts in the house since he allows me to "control" the thermostat. Ha!
Yet our time in Alaska has opened my eyes to the joys discovered in nature despite and sometimes because of the weather. The green colors of the meadows are more vivid without the interference of the bright sun. Rain drops on leaves sparkle when the sun does take a quick peek through the clouds. Dark mountains laced with wispy clouds have an eerie but simple beauty. Crowds on the hiking trails are non-existent, which makes for a quiet walk while listening for birds singing through the trees. So let the cold rain come! I'm smiling and remembering Paul's words in Philippians 4:11-12
"...for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need (cold and rain)."








No comments: